Call Us:- (905) 451-1550


All foreign students, with some exceptions, must apply for and receive a Canadian Study Permit before attending school in Canada.

Student with Canadian Study Permit

Before Applying

Before applying for a Study Permit, you must first apply for and be admitted to an eligible school in Canada either at the primary, secondary or post-secondary level or an English or French language school.

Once you receive your admission letter from your school in Canada you can then apply for a Canadian Study Permit. Depending on the country you are from, you may also need to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa.

Approved for Immigration to Canada

Designated Learning Institution

Provinces and territories approve (or “designate”) schools that can enrol international students. These schools are known as designated learning institutions (DLI).

All foreign nationals applying for a study permit to study in Canada must receive an from a Canadian learning institution that is on the DLI list found on Immigration Canada’s website. If it isn’t, your application will be refused.

Note that all primary and secondary schools in Canada are DLIs. You can search a list of the post-secondary schools, such as colleges and universities, and language schools that have been designated.

Approved for Immigration to Canada
Canadian Visa Application Form

Assessing the application

If you are currently outside Canada you must apply for a Study Permit at the Canadian visa office responsible for your country or region.
The visa officer who will process your Study Permit application will, among other things, consider the following:

  • Whether you are a bona fide student. You must persuade the visa office who will process your Study Permit application that you are really coming to Canada for the principal purpose of attending school and will leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay here;
  • Whether you are inadmissible to Canada. That is, have you committed any crimes, do you have a medical condition, or have you not complied with Canada’s immigration laws in the past.
  • Whether you require a medical examination.
  • Whether you require a Temporary Resident Visa.

If the visa officer is satisfied that your application meet the requirements of Canada immigration laws, then you will be issued a Study Permit authorizing you to study in Canada.

Student's study permit approved by Canadian government

As an authorized foreign student you will be eligible to work in Canada on a part-time basis during your studies.

As your legal representative, Eastman Law Office will prepare your Canadian Study Permit application from start to finish ensuring that it is thoroughly prepared and well supported with an abundance of documentary evidence establishing that you have met all of the requirements set out in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and its regulations.  We work with you to make certain that your application has the best possibility of being approved by a visa officer.

Once your application is submitted to the visa office all future correspondence and communications pertaining to your application will be sent directly to Eastman Law Office. Our law office will continue to be your legal representative until a final determination is made on your Study Permit application by a visa officer.  Should any issue arise in the processing of your Study Permit application, Eastman Law Office will address it immediately.

Call Eastman Law Office at (905) 451-1550 or e-mail us at contact@theimmigrater.comto have our law office prepare and submit your Canadian Study Permit application.  We have handled both routine and complicated Study Permit applications where the applicant had been refused a Study Permit previously, so call today and begin the application process.

Click below to fill out our online form for a Canadian Study Permit and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Schedule a Free Consultation

(905) 451-1550

Please note that none of the information on this website should be construed as being legal advice. As well, you should not rely on any of the information contained in this website when determining whether and how to apply to any program offered by Immigration Canada. Canadian immigration law changes constantly, and therefore information contained on this website may be out of date and no longer valid. If you have a question about the contents of this website, or any question about Canadian immigration law, please contact Eastman Law Office.

Our Memberships