Telephone icon (905) 451-1550      | Facebook iconTwitter Icon

Former Department of Justice - Canada Immigration Lawyer

News and Updates
Gradual resumption of in-person services
Ottawa, September 17, 2020 — At the onset of the pandemic, IRCC moved quickly to put operational safeguards in place to ... Full Story
Monday, September 21
New temporary public policy will allow visitors to apply for a work permit without having to leave Canada
News release Revised August 25 Change intended to benefit employers who are still facing difficulties finding workers ... Full Story
Wednesday, September 2

Canadian Study Permit

Canadian study permit - Eastman Law OfficeAll foreign students, with some exceptions, must apply for and receive a Canadian Study Permit before attending school in Canada.

Before Applying

Before applying for a Study Permit, you must first apply for and be admitted to an eligible school in Canada either at the primary, secondary or post-secondary level or an English or French language school.

Once you receive your admission letter from your school in Canada you can then apply for a Canadian Study Permit.  Depending on the country you are from, you may also need to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa.

Eligible Institution

An "eligible institution” in the case of a public learning institution in Canada is defined as follows:

  • A public post-secondary institution, such as a college or university or CÉGEP in Quebec; or
  • A private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as public institutions and that receive at least 50 percent of their financing for overall operations from government grants (currently only private college-level educational institutions in Quebec qualify); and
  • One that is located in a province or territory that has signed an MOU with CIC and that has signed an off-campus work agreement with their provincial or territorial government.

 An "eligible institution” in the case of a private learning institution in Canada is defined as follows:

  • Is located in a province or territory that has signed a memorandum of understanding with CIC and that has signed an off-campus work agreement with their provincial or territorial government; and
  • Has approval from the provincial or territorial government to grant specific degrees by a public or private act of the provincial/territorial legislation or through a government mandated quality assurance mechanism


Please note that not all programs offered by private post-secondary educational institutions qualify. Qualifying programs at eligible privately funded post-secondary institutions must lead to a specific degree upon completion.


Assessing the application

If you are currently outside Canada you must apply for a Study Permit at the Canadian visa office responsible for your country or region.

The visa officer who will process your Study Permit application will, among other things, consider the following:

  • Whether you are a bona fide student. You must persuade the visa office who will process your Study Permit application that you are really coming to Canada for the principal purpose of attending school and will leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay here;
  • Whether you are inadmissible to Canada. That is, have you committed any crimes, do you have a medical condition, or have you not complied with Canada's immigration laws in the past.
  • Whether you require a medical examination.
  • Whether you require a Temporary Resident Visa.

If the visa officer is satisfied that your application meet the requirements of Canada immigration laws, then you will be issued a Study Permit authorizing you to study in Canada. 

As an authorized foreign student you will be eligible to work in Canada on a part-time basis during your studies.

As your legal representative, Eastman Law Office will prepare your Canadian Study Permit application from start to finish ensuring that it is thoroughly prepared and well supported with an abundance of documentary evidence establishing that you have met all of the requirements set out in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and its regulations.  We work with you to make certain that your application has the best possibility of being approved by a visa officer. 

Once your application is submitted to the visa office all future correspondence and communications pertaining to your application will be sent directly to Eastman Law Office. Our law office will continue to be your legal representative until a final determination is made on your Study Permit application by a visa officer.  Should any issue arise in the processing of your Study Permit application, Eastman Law Office will address it immediately.

Call Eastman Law Office at (905) 451-1550 or e-mail us at contact@theimmigrater.comto have our law office prepare and submit your Canadian Study Permit application.  We have handled both routine and complicated Study Permit applications where the applicant had been refused a Study Permit previously, so call today and begin the application process.

Click below to fill out our online form for a Canadian Study Permit and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Please note that none of the information on this website should be construed as being legal advice. As well, you should not rely on any of the information contained in this website when determining whether and how to apply to any program offered by Immigration Canada. Canadian immigration law changes constantly, and therefore information contained on this website may be out of date and no longer valid. If you have a question about the contents of this website, or any question about Canadian immigration law, please contact Eastman Law Office.

Law Society of Ontario logo

The Canadian Bar Association

Refugee Lawyers' Association of Ontario

U Ottawa